10th Anniversary Friends of Blackwater Wild Goose Chase Women's Bicycle Ride
The next Wild Goose Chase will be held September 8-9, 2018. Visit the registration page.
Women bicyclists from all over the Mid-Atlantic and beyond converge on Dorchester County to ride in the Wild Goose Chase Women's Bicycle Ride. Cyclists can ride along low-traffic scenic county roads in and around Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge (NWR). Since women's bicycling pioneer Georgena Terry created the event in 2008, the Wild Goose Chase has raised over $170,000 for the Friends of Blackwater, which has used the funds to support numerous Refuge projects. The contact person for the 2018 ride: Kit Bradshaw, 443-521-5894, email@example.com. Also, see our vendor/sponsor letter if you're interested in supporting the event. And be sure to follow us on Facebook.
Follow the links below to learn more about the 2018 Wild Goose Chase
Visit the registration page for the official schedule and to sign up for events.
Saturday, September 8
Things to Do
- Guided nature rides on the Blackwater NWR Wildlife Drive, $25 (at Blackwater NWR, lunch included, limit 15 participants)
- Workshop: Bike maintenance and knowing your way around your bike, $25 (at Blackwater NWR, lunch included, limit 15 participants)
- Workshop: Safety and how to prepare for a group ride, $25 (at Blackwater NWR, lunch included, limit 15 participants)
- Visit vendors at the Governors Hall at Sailwinds Visitor Center in Cambridge (Saturday 3:00 p.m. - Sunday 4:00 p.m.)
- Cash bar reception at Governors Hall (guest $10, Saturday evening 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.). Meet and greet Guest of Honor Georgena Terry.
Additional activities available in the area
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center (free)
- Blackwater NWR Visitor Center (free and 10% discount at bookstore)
- Kayaking adventure through Blackwater NWR with Blackwater Adventures (additional cost)
- Golf (special rate for participants and companions) at Hyatt River Marsh
- Tour historic High Street, Pine Street, and the Choptank River Lighthouse
- Self-guided ride through and around historic Cambridge
Sunday, September 9
Things to Do
- Ride from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Four rides ranging in distance from 20 to 65 miles
- Lunch from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (guest $10)
- Door prize drawings (do not have to be present to win)
- 50/50 raffle drawing (do not have to be present to win)
Visit the registration page to sign up. Cost for Sunday ride is $75 and includes Saturday reception, Sunday lunch, and items below:
- Before July 10, includes arm warmers and t-shirt (see shirt designs)
- Before July 26, includes t-shirt
Registration fee increases to $95 after July 26.
At check-in, cyclists will receive a directory of local businesses that highlight local donors and list local places to eat, shop, and recreate. Door prize items are donated by bike industry sponsors from all over the country. The Friends of Blackwater are very grateful to all the sponsors and donors who will help make this ride a great experience for everyone (see logos below).